By Jane Chanda
Residents in Lusaka’s Kanyama-John Laing compound have expressed fear of electrocution and cholera outbreak due to flooding in their homes and urged Zesco to keep the power lines disconnected.
On Sunday, Zesco Limited disconnected electricity supply in flood-affected areas of Lusaka, including some parts of Kanyama and Makeni, as a safety precaution to prevent electrical hazards and infrastructure damage.
A visit by Daily Revelation yesterday to the area was met with a dire landscape as the entire scene was inundated with water, rendering it impassable, with a power transformer partly submerged in the murky waters. Oblivious to this development, some children were seen playing by in the same environment.
A resident in the area, Judith Mbewe, described the situation as terrible as floodwater had filled homes and waste was floating in the streets, with furniture in homes precariously propped up on blocks to save it from the water.
Mbewe said residents were praying for the government to hear their cry, especially since they were at risk of being exposed to cholera.
“We’re praying for the government to hear our cry,” Mbewe pleaded, “The situation is catastrophic. We are at a risk of cholera and it’s horrific to see worms from the toilets floating towards our doorsteps.”
Mbewe said the residents in the area had welcomed Zesco’s decision to disconnect power.
“Sitiyafuna ma light, yazatishoka kuli manzi konse, tifuna boma ilanganilepo, ma nyumba na vintu vvaonongeka nabana baza dwala.(We don’t want power, we are scared of getting electrocuted we want government to take action before our houses are destroyed and our children get sick).”
Floodwaters in the compound reached as high as the waist level, amidst a stench from the sewage and decomposed waste, accompanied by the gushing sound of rushing water. The residents struggled to deal with the disaster as they looked worried and unsure about what would happen next.
Another resident, Brian Kangwa, said they were struggling to keep their children safe because the flooding had not only brought a high risk of cholera exposure but also left them with no access to clean drinking water, forcing them to rely on contaminated water which posed a serious threat to their health. He appealed to the government to provide assistance, including mealie meal, as their food and appliances had been damaged.
The residents claimed that a drainage system built by the Zambia National Service (ZNS) made the situation worse, causing water to accumulate instead of flowing freely.
“Breaking the bridge at SEBO and Chitimukulu would help alleviate the flooding,” one of them said.
In hopes of finding a solution, some residents revealed that they visited the office for the local councilor, Aaron Mwanza, to report their situation for possible intervention but were chased away and told that he was not responsible for their area. However, residents have continued to appeal for assistance and support from well wishers.
Meanwhile, a Zesco team of operational technologists assessing the situation on the ground acknowledged the challenges, saying that while some residents wanted power restored, others were afraid of electrocution.
“We understand the concerns of both groups and we’re working to balance their needs,” said one of the technologists. “Our priority is safety, so we are carefully evaluating the situation to ensure that we can provide power to those who need it while protecting others from potential electrocution risks.”
The Zesco team also announced plans to assess other areas affected by the flooding, with the goal of disconnecting power to protect residents from electrocution and other electrical accidents.
“We want to be proactive in preventing any accidents so we’ll be conducting a thorough assessment of the affected areas to determine where we need to take action,” explained the technologist.